Browse Items (267 total)

  • Tags: Salem

34 Summer Street FINAL.pdf
Built by
John Perkins
Housewright
c. 1839

28 Arbella.pdf
Built for
Sarah H. Plummer &
William H. Plummer
Shoemaker
c. 1873

2-4 Emerton FINAL.pdf
Built for
James A. Gillis
Counsellor
by 1894

25 Beach Avenue FINAL.pdf
Built for
Harriet F. Perkins
Widow of
Salem City Alderman
Fitz W. Perkins
1896

29 Dearborn Street - FINAL.pdf
Built for
Walter T. Berry
Grocer
& his wife
Adelaide S. Warner
in 1911

Industrial & Social Development of Boston Street.pdf
The Industrial and Social Development of Boston Street, Salem

1 Essex Street FINAL .pdf
Built by
James Fanning
Carpenter
c. 1894

4 Carpenter Street FINAL.pdf
Built for
the Nichols family
c. 1905
Designed by
Ernest Machado
Architect

126 Bay View.pdf
Built for
Alfred Peabody
Merchant
c. 1876

52 Essex St FINAL.pdf
Built for
Daniel Sage
Mariner and Merchant
c. 1800

1 Gedney Court FINAL.pdf
Built for the heirs of
George S. Arrington
Policeman
1886

25 Warren Street FINAL.pdf
Built for
Dennis Brady
Currier
c. 1870

2 Sutton Avenue FINAL.pdf
Built for
Frances Tabour
Wife of
William Tabour
Cigar Manufacturer
c. 1880

58 Endicott Street FINAL 4-3-19.pdf
Original house built for
Jesse S. Punchard
1846
Rebuilt after
the Great Salem Fire
June 1914

386 Essex Street FINAL.pdf
Built for
Willard Goldthwaite
Merchant
1868

86 Federal Street FINAL.pdf
Built for
Robert Peele Jr.
Tailor
and his wife
Elizabeth Ropes
1769

144-146 Federal Street FINAL.pdf
Built for
Capt. Thomas Whittredge
Shipmaster
and his wife
Sarah Whittredge
c. 1802

14 Beach Avenue FINAL.pdf
Built for
Abel Webster
Massachusetts State Representative
from Lawrence
Iron Founder
c. 1880

8 Chestnut Street FINAL.pdf
Built by
Daniel Gregg
Housewright
c. 1804-1805
Expanded or rebuilt by
John Stone
Between 1825-1839

198 North Street FINAL.pdf
Built for
Henry Chew
A free man of color
Mariner
c. 1834

31 Appleton Street FINAL.pdf
Built for
Laura Lamprey
& her husband
Reuben Lamprey
Heel Manufacturer
c. 1889

9 Albion Street.pdf
Built by
Benjamin Voller
Laborer
1848

18 Chestnut Street - Final.pdf
Built for
James B. Bott
c. 1800
Home of
Nathaniel Hawthorne
1846-1847

112 Bay View Avenue - Final.pdf
Built for
Fidelia & Matthew Robson
Currier
c. 1885

4 Cousins Street (Final).pdf
Built for
Joseph “Frank” & Mary Boynton
Clothier: Kent & Boynton; Cape Ann Clothing Co.
1894; rebuilt 1910

Built on the former estate of
Philip & Mary English (née Hollingsworth)
Maritime Merchant & Salem Selectman
Accused of Witchcraft,…

11 Daniels Street - Final.pdf
Built for
the Grafton family
before 1806

166-168 Bridge Street - Final Report.pdf
Built for
Ezra Woodbury
Carpenter
& his wife Mary Knight
1877

17.5 River Street.pdf
Built for
Ann McMahon
Widow
of County Clare Ireland
1884

4 Andrew Street.pdf
Built as a stable for
Isabella C. Miller
1877
Converted to dwelling
after Great Salem Fire
1914

7 Prescott Street.pdf
Built by
Giuseppe Giunta
Gardener
1916

14 Herbert Street Final.pdf
Built for
Antonina and John Boltrukiewicz
Machine Painter
1912

47 Essex Street .pdf
Built for
J. Lovett Whipple
Wheelwright
c. 1854

84 Federal Street with Deeds.pdf
Built for
Lois E. Mooney and Alvin J. Mooney,
Conductor of Boston & Maine Railroad
1899

HSI-32 Forrester.pdf
Built for
Lizzie and Samuel Frank Masury
Tobacconist
1884

11 Pickman Street.pdf
Built by John S. Edwards, Housewright c. 1834

North_161.PDF
John Dunckley, blacksmith, c. 1802

Flint_10.PDF
Built in 1915 for Charles Blunt, plumber, and wife Elizabeth. Replaced home burned in Great Salem Fire of 1914. On original foundation from 1839 house built for Joseph Wallis, cabinet maker

Howard_34.pdf
Built c. 1843-1845 for James Trask, Postman

River_16.pdf
Built in 1787 for Robert Wallis, cabinet maker. Later was home of William Knight, Cordwainer, Joseph N. Smith, Cordwainer, Alice (Poor) Ross, widow, William Phelps Jr., joiner, and Michael Little, laborer.

Warren St._11.pdf
Documents provided are of research conducted on house; formal house history unavailable.

Northery St._30pdf.pdf
Built for Nathaniel Appleton, Jr. c. 1809

Crombie St._18.pdf
The William Pike House. Built for Samuel Ferguson, painter, by 1831

Daniels St._2.pdf
Built 1906 for Mrs. Elizabeth Stevenson (plaque has more wording than this)

Flint St._19.pdf
Built for Leonard Harrington, leather dealer, 1871

Central St._4-10 and Essex St._ 193-195.pdf
Built in 1805 for the Merchants B. Herbert Hathorne and W. Shepard Gray

Central St._4-10 and Essex St._ 193-195.pdf
Built in 1805 for the Merchants B. Herbert Hathorne and W. Shepard Gray

Carpenter St._7.pdf
Built as the Orphanage of the Seamen’s Orphans & Children’s Friend Society 1878

Carlton St._17.pdf
Built for Margaret Ellison Bray - Widow c. 1808

Pleasant_15.pdf
Built by Abraham Towle, carpenter c. 1864

Clark_28.pdf
Built in 1984 for Ernest and Phyllis Dearborn

Essex 97.PDF
Built for Captain Benjamin Bates, mariner 1761

Essex St._64-68 and 70 Washington Square East (1).pdf
Built 1893 for Zina Goodell, machinist, inventor

Essex St._53.pdf
Owned by Rebecca Silsbee, moved to this site by 1843

English St._34.pdf
Built by Robert Hill, boatbuilder, in 1812. The land originally contained a house built in 1688 by Mary and Thomas Mascoll on land given them by the original poprietor (Mary's father), mariner Joseph Swasey. This house was eventually divided in two…

English St._30.pdf
Built for widow Martha Rice c. 1800. In 1798 Martha Rice, "administratrix of the estate of David Hilliard," sold to John Becket and then re-purchased the "east end of dwelling house and small plot of land" on this site. According to Dr. Bentley's…

Federal St._63.pdf
Built for Nathaniel Treadwell, leather manufacturer

Fort Ave._155.pdf
Built for William G. Cochrane, manufacturer in 1909

Linden St._29.pdf
Built 1894 for Elizabeth A Winn, widow, by Eben H. Morse, carpenter

Lynde St._25.pdf
Captain James Barr, mariner, 1759; Documentation there, narrative missing

Mall St._1.pdf
Circa 1800. Moved here from unknown location in 1906 by Francis Ann Perley

Mall St._14.pdf
Has a non-HSI plaque; Built for Peter Edgerly, truckman, 1824

North Pine St._4.pdf
Moved to the lot by 1851 by Nathaniel Frothingham, Jr. and James C. Stimpson

North Pine St._7-9-11-13.pdf
Built by Edward F. Danforth and Devereux Dennis Carpenters & Builders in 1868

North Pine St._8.pdf
House of Nathaniel Frothingham, stove & tinware dealer by 1851
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2