175 Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts 01970

Title

175 Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts 01970

Subject

House history

Description

The Downing Block was constructed in 1858. In 1869 it became the first location of the Salem Fraternity, later the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salem.

Creator

Historic Salem, Inc.

Source

Historic Salem, Inc. house histories

Publisher

Historic Salem, Inc.; Salem Historical Society

Date

Built 1858; researched 2004 and 2016.

Contributor

2004 contribution from Dick Thompson; 2016 information from Joanne Scott and Stanley Swartz.

Language

English

Files

Essex St._175.pdf

Collection

Citation

Historic Salem, Inc., “175 Essex Street, Salem, Massachusetts 01970,” House Histories of Salem, accessed November 15, 2019, https://hsihousehistory.omeka.net/items/show/298.

Output Formats

Geolocation

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>