Browse Items (48 total)

  • Collection: Essex Street

47 Essex Street .pdf
Built for
J. Lovett Whipple
Wheelwright
c. 1854

Central St._4-10 and Essex St._ 193-195.pdf
Built in 1805 for the Merchants B. Herbert Hathorne and W. Shepard Gray

Essex 97.PDF
Built for Captain Benjamin Bates, mariner 1761

Essex St._64-68 and 70 Washington Square East (1).pdf
Built 1893 for Zina Goodell, machinist, inventor

Essex St._53.pdf
Owned by Rebecca Silsbee, moved to this site by 1843

Essex St._398.pdf
Built in 1847 as Quaker Meeting House, probably by David Buffum, and was sold and converted into a domestic dwelling in 1869.

Essex St._39.pdf
Built for William Murray, cooper, in 1688.

Essex St._389.pdf
Built for David Kiley, liquor purveyor, in 1882.

Essex St._387.pdf
Built for Lemuel Higbee, leather manufacturer, in 1858.

Essex St._384.pdf
Built by Captain Joseph Dean in 1706; also known as the William Stearns or Stearns-Sprague House; at one time run as the East India House guesthouse.

Essex St._380.pdf
Built in 1807 for Joseph Sprague, Jr., merchant.

Essex St._377.pdf
Built for James Ford in 1764, remodeled for Nathan Gifford in 1893.

352 352 Essex Street.PDF
Built in 1875 as a double house for Arthur S. Rogers (352), treasurer of Atlantic Car Co., and Benjamin W. Russell (350), teller at Salem National Bank

Essex St._98.pdf
Built for John Gray, schoolmaster, in about 1808.

Essex St._95.pdf
Built for William Dove, mariner, in 1719; remodeled in 1883.

Essex St._91 and 89_Curtis St._1 and 2.pdf
Built in 1868 for Moses T. Upton, but encompassing portions of structures built in 1731 for Daniel Curtis, shipwright, and in 1790 for Capt. Thomas Ashby.

Essex St._81.pdf
Built for John Hodges, mariner, c. 1750.

Essex St._72.pdf
Built for Jonathan Archer, peruke maker [wigmaker], by 1797. Archer purchased the land from Richard Prince in 1760; see metadata for further details.

Essex St._54.pdf
Built as a shop for Capt. Daniel Sage, shipmaster, c. 1805; from 1823 served as apothecary shop of William Webb.

Essex St._44.pdf
Built for Phineas T Weston, trader, in 1859.

Essex St._42.pdf
Built by A.K. Hood for Elijah Low, 1840.

Essex St._397.pdf
Built by Jabez Smith, carpenter, in 1803; purchased in 1813 by Capt. James Silver.

Essex St._396.pdf
Built for the Osgood family in 1881 but known as "Dr. Gaffney's House" because it was owned by Catherine E. Gaffney and her husband, Dr. Henry J. Gaffney, from 1889-1911. It was converted into condominiums in 1986.

Essex St._391 and 391.5.pdf
House and grocery store built for Stephen Fogg, trader, in 1826 and 1840.

Essex St._374.pdf
The Buffington House, built after 1785 by Nehemiah Buffington, remodeled 1832

Essex St._362.pdf
Built by 1754 for John Ropes, cordwainer.

Essex St._359.pdf
The Smith-Crosby-Endicott house, built c. 1789 for Benjamin Smith and Nicholas Crosby. Birthplace of Mary Endicott Chamberlain, wife of Joseph Chamberlain.

Essex St._356.pdf
Built for Nathan Frye, master mariner, in 1852. The land was previously owned by Thomas Maule and later by Capt. John Buffington.

Essex St._335.pdf
Built by 1793 for Col. and Mrs. John Page on land formerly owned by Thomas Maule.

Essex St._331.pdf
Built in 1854 for James B. Curwen, merchant, and Samuel R. Curwen, captain.

Essex St._330.pdf
Built for Jonathan Holman, clerk, by 1846 on the site of a much earlier house taken down when this house was constructed.

Essex St._328.pdf
Built by Daniel Bancroft for merchant William Pickman in 1823 on land inherited through their mother's family, the Toppans. Pickman, a bachelor, inhabited the house with his sister, Love Rawlins Pickman. They were the children of one of Salem's…

Essex St._319.pdf
Built for widow Judith Barnard in about 1823.

Essex St._314.pdf
Built for spinster Mary Lindall in 1755; the land was owned by Mary Lindall and her orphaned niece, Elizabeth Gray, both Curwen/Corwin relatives. The house was later owned by Capt. William Osgood, whose daughter Susan lived there until 1920. In 1947…

Essex St._313.pdf
Built for the widow Priscilla Manning Abbot in 1786. After her death it was sold to John Ropes, merchant, and passed to his daughter Hannah Harridan Ropes, and subsequently to her relatives Charles W Upham and his son, Oliver Wendell Holmes Upham.

Essex St._175.pdf
The Downing Block was constructed in 1858. In 1869 it became the first location of the Salem Fraternity, later the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salem.

Essex St._15.pdf
Built for Clifford Crowninshield, rope maker, in 1759, and passed to his heirs. In the late 19th century it was owned by the Salem Charitable Building Association.

Essex St._129.pdf
Built by Samuel McIntire for Gideon Tucker, merchant, in 1808-09. Purchased in 1896 by the Father Theobald Mathew Total Abstinence Society, who remodeled it in 1910.

Essex St._131.pdf
Built for a prominent Salem physician, Dr. Moses Little, between 1807 and his death in 1811, possibly by Samuel McIntire. Dr. Little purchased the property from Joseph and Elizabeth Peabody in 1799. He house was later inhabited by Simon Forrester's…

Essex St._125.pdf
Built for Thomas Needham, cabinetmaker, in 1830.

Essex St._10.pdf
Built for David Murphy, rope maker, in 1798.
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2