34 English Street, Salem, MA 01970

Title

34 English Street, Salem, MA 01970

Subject

House history

Description

Built by Robert Hill, boatbuilder, in 1812. The land originally contained a house built in 1688 by Mary and Thomas Mascoll on land given them by the original poprietor (Mary's father), mariner Joseph Swasey. This house was eventually divided in two and the easterly half was sold in 1798 to widow Martha Rice, who tore it down to build her new dwelling still standing at 30 English Street. Martha Rice sold a section of her land to Robert Hill in 1812, on which he built a house for his family.

Creator

Historic Salem, Inc.

Source

Historic Salem, Inc. house histories

Publisher

Historic Salem, Inc.; Salem Historical Society

Date

Built 1812; researched 1992.

Contributor

Researched by Donna Vinson

Language

English

Files

English St._34.pdf

Collection

Citation

Historic Salem, Inc., “34 English Street, Salem, MA 01970,” House Histories of Salem, accessed February 17, 2018, http://hsihousehistory.omeka.net/items/show/523.

Geolocation

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>