Built for David Murphy, rope maker, in 1798.
Built for Thomas Needham, cabinetmaker, in 1830.
Built for a prominent Salem physician, Dr. Moses Little, between 1807 and his death in 1811, possibly by Samuel McIntire. Dr. Little purchased the property from Joseph and Elizabeth Peabody in 1799. He house was later inhabited by Simon Forrester's…
Built by Samuel McIntire for Gideon Tucker, merchant, in 1808-09. Purchased in 1896 by the Father Theobald Mathew Total Abstinence Society, who remodeled it in 1910.
Built for Clifford Crowninshield, rope maker, in 1759, and passed to his heirs. In the late 19th century it was owned by the Salem Charitable Building Association.
The Downing Block was constructed in 1858. In 1869 it became the first location of the Salem Fraternity, later the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Salem.
Built for the widow Priscilla Manning Abbot in 1786. After her death it was sold to John Ropes, merchant, and passed to his daughter Hannah Harridan Ropes, and subsequently to her relatives Charles W Upham and his son, Oliver Wendell Holmes Upham.
Built for spinster Mary Lindall in 1755; the land was owned by Mary Lindall and her orphaned niece, Elizabeth Gray, both Curwen/Corwin relatives. The house was later owned by Capt. William Osgood, whose daughter Susan lived there until 1920. In 1947…
Built for widow Judith Barnard in about 1823.
Built by Daniel Bancroft for merchant William Pickman in 1823 on land inherited through their mother's family, the Toppans. Pickman, a bachelor, inhabited the house with his sister, Love Rawlins Pickman. They were the children of one of Salem's…
Built for Jonathan Holman, clerk, by 1846 on the site of a much earlier house taken down when this house was constructed.
Built in 1854 for James B. Curwen, merchant, and Samuel R. Curwen, captain.
Built by 1793 for Col. and Mrs. John Page on land formerly owned by Thomas Maule.
Built for Capt. William Pickering in 1735
Built for Nathan Frye, master mariner, in 1852. The land was previously owned by Thomas Maule and later by Capt. John Buffington.
The Smith-Crosby-Endicott house, built c. 1789 for Benjamin Smith and Nicholas Crosby. Birthplace of Mary Endicott Chamberlain, wife of Joseph Chamberlain.
Built by 1754 for John Ropes, cordwainer.
The Buffington House, built after 1785 by Nehemiah Buffington, remodeled 1832
Built for Sarah E Collins in 1878
House and grocery store built for Stephen Fogg, trader, in 1826 and 1840.
Built for the Osgood family in 1881 but known as "Dr. Gaffney's House" because it was owned by Catherine E. Gaffney and her husband, Dr. Henry J. Gaffney, from 1889-1911. It was converted into condominiums in 1986.
Built by Jabez Smith, carpenter, in 1803; purchased in 1813 by Capt. James Silver.
Built for George E. Berry in 1859.
Built by A.K. Hood for Elijah Low, 1840.
Built for Phineas T Weston, trader, in 1859.
Built as a shop for Capt. Daniel Sage, shipmaster, c. 1805; from 1823 served as apothecary shop of William Webb.
Built for Jonathan Archer, peruke maker [wigmaker], by 1797. Archer purchased the land from Richard Prince in 1760; see metadata for further details.
Built for John Hodges, mariner, c. 1750.
Built in 1868 for Moses T. Upton, but encompassing portions of structures built in 1731 for Daniel Curtis, shipwright, and in 1790 for Capt. Thomas Ashby.
Built for William Dove, mariner, in 1719; remodeled in 1883.
Built for John Gray, schoolmaster, in about 1808.
Built in 1875 as a double house for Arthur S. Rogers (352), treasurer of Atlantic Car Co., and Benjamin W. Russell (350), teller at Salem National Bank
Built for Mary Ann Ropes in 1844
Built for James Ford in 1764, remodeled for Nathan Gifford in 1893.
Built in 1807 for Joseph Sprague, Jr., merchant.
Built by Captain Joseph Dean in 1706; also known as the William Stearns or Stearns-Sprague House; at one time run as the East India House guesthouse.
Built for Lemuel Higbee, leather manufacturer, in 1858.
Built for David Kiley, liquor purveyor, in 1882.
Built for William Murray, cooper, in 1688.
Built for William Ives, printer, in 1850.
Built in 1730 for Paul Raymond, potter.
Built in 1847 as Quaker Meeting House, probably by David Buffum, and was sold and converted into a domestic dwelling in 1869.
Owned by Rebecca Silsbee, moved to this site by 1843
Built 1893 for Zina Goodell, machinist, inventor
Captain Nathaniel Osgood, c. 1815
Built for Captain Benjamin Bates, mariner 1761
Built in 1805 for the Merchants B. Herbert Hathorne and W. Shepard Gray